Monday, October 11, 2010

Tax Training and Re-Entry Conference

My first tax training was definitely felt like I was deluged with information. I certainly learned a lot from it! I gained a genuine, heartfelt appreciation for the Benefit Bank software, once I had to complete the tax forms by hand. The tax forms confusing because they lacked clarity in some areas.
This was my first experience with taxes in every sense; I did not know the difference between a credit and a deduction when I started. I commend the OASHF staff for de-tangling the complexity of taxes and teaching me about the motley of forms one by one.
Even with my unfamiliarity with taxes, I am excited to help people get their earned income tax credits. Specifically, I like the aspect of instant gratification- the number they see is the number they will receive (assuming all information is correct)!

This past Saturday, I performed Quick Checks at a Re-Entry Conference. The population of the attendees was very dynamic. There were inmates up for release, people from recovery programs, and members of church-based programs. Basically, there were people looking to give help and get help in the same conference. It was pretty incredible! Some of the sessions they had also seemed interesting; one of them focused on trying to get the inmates talk about their emotions. I know that this may sound a little bit too effusive, but I thought it was it was very thoughtful aspect of recovery. There were various organizations present ranging from public health clinics, to church services, to re-entry organizations. Many people were very interested in the OBB and surprised by what it had to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment