Friday, September 3, 2010

OBB Conference!

I spend the last two days in Columbus at the OBB conference. It was a really insightful learning experience! All of Wednesday was devoted to public benefits and Thursday was spend on learning about tax clinics. So much fine print! I learned new things about public benefits and will be able to explain certain benefits to my clients in greater detail. Sometimes the information sessions about VITA and other tax-related topics were a bit over my head, but its was good to familiarize myself with the jargon. I found the tax clinic stimulation to be particularly helpful because it helped me understand the flow of various tax clinic sessions.
In addition, I watched a really sad documentary about three struggling families living in Southeast Ohio. I was really struck by the documentary, and was really glad that I am positioned at a Foodbank. The documentary helped me realize the impact that a Foodbank has in the community.I think providing for people's basic needs is the foundation upon which a society can grow. It is something that is often overlooked. In the country of abundance and where obesity is on the rise, it is hard to believe that communities are struggling to find nourishment. I am interested in getting Shared Harvest involved with the paper plate campaign that was featured in the documentary. I thought it was a thoughtful way to send the message to politicians in Washington. As a side note, I thought it was interesting to see one of the people who did not have enough money for food, smoking a cigarette. It made me realize how addicting cigarettes are, and think about the lack of education, or anti-smoking campaigns in the area.
Furthey, the conference was a great way to catch up with my fellow VISTAs. It was great to be able to reconnect with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment